The MAI membership designation is held by appraisers who are experienced in the valuation and evaluation of commercial, industrial, residential and other types of properties, and who advise clients on real estate investment decisions.
Current Requirements for the MAI Designation
- Pass rigorous education requirements
- Pass a final comprehensive examination
- Submit specialized experience which must meet strict criteria
- Receive credit for a demonstration appraisal report
- Conduct his or her professional activities in accordance with the Appraisal Institute’s Code of Professional Ethics and are subject to a peer review process, which enforces the Code of Professional Ethics
- Appraisal Institute MAI members are required to adhere to strict continuing education requirements to ensure they are up-to-date with the evolving real estate field